Monday, October 17, 2011

RIDE ON THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS!!!

 Yes, I am a 90’s child to the core… but some things can’t be helped.  So, when we go on our weekly excursions, we usually take a bus, a nice charter bus, not a school bus, but this week, I just kept feeling like we were on the magic school bus, but instead of Mrs. Frizzle, we have Mr. Feeny (my apologies to those of you that don’t understand those references…but basically it means that even a bus ride can be awesome…)
Our “Mr. Feeny” is Filiberto, he knows so much, and we feel like we have known him forever, and it is hard to picture our lives without him around…   He is also hilarious.  He uses a lot of puns (very difficult to do when English is not your first language, but he definitely does)  and also throws random things out like “We do have pretty good Chinese food here, but its not authentic because we have different local ingredients, for example we don’t have dragon in this country.”  So he sits in the front of the bus explaining the sites as we pass them, this Friday we passed Lake Michigan (a lake caused by a dam in a river)  and Lake Superior, same source, just “higher”… Because we leave quite early in the morning, many people are asleep for these lovely little moments, but because I struggle to sleep on buses/moving vehicles in general, I am usually up to hear them.
Our destination Friday was Assisi, and I was thrilled.  I am already making plans to go back.  Since I have been here, I have become very interested in the life and work of Saint Francis of Assisi, so obviously I was excited to visit his hometown.  Assisi is a beautiful city, classically picturesque Italy.  We spent most of our time in the Basilica di San Francesco, which actually has two churches built one on top of the other, and it is built from the stone of Mount Subasio.  These stones are pink and white, which makes the façade quite striking.  Sadly however, the Basilica does not allow for pictures, so I only got a few shots from the outside.  But I did walk around with my sketchbook in hand and sketched several things I found interesting.  I really enjoy sketching while we are on excursions, but it does make it a little difficult when the group keeps moving and I am still sketching. 
The Basilica was full of wonderful pointed arches and barrel vaults, the ceilings of which were all painted.  Quite often the sails (pie like sections in the ceiling of a barrel vault) are painted with stars, or other celestial images.  Over time the blue pigment used for the backgrounds decays, but it leaves this interesting mottled mix of dark and light blues.  I think it is even lovelier than the few that have kept their even coloring.  Some sails are painted with scenes of saints, disciples, angels, and other things, and it has been interesting to see how the artists deal with the challenges of working on a curved plain above their audience’s heads.  Quite often, especially with paintings of buildings, they end up looking quite fanciful more like something out of a pop-up fairytale book than the ceiling of a gorgeous Italian church.  
From the Basilica of San Francesco, we walked to the Cathedral of San Ruffino, which was once the Temple of Minerva, in the Roman times.  Its original Roman pillars are still standing in the front.  It was another reminder of how young America is… as I stepped through a threshold that\ could claim millennia for its age, not centuries. 
After some free time for lunch and shopping (Assisi has some awesome shops, lots of things made with olive wood, which is gorgeous stuff) we got back on the bus to go to the caves… and when I say caves, I mean expansive limestone caverns inside of a mountain.  The caves were discovered about 40 years ago (September 27, 1971) by a group of kids ages 16-21 that were doing some volunteer research in the mountains…
In an effort to protect these gorgeous caves, photography was once again disallowed… However, my friend Chelsea and I did procure the tourist photo by the Giants, a cluster of several stalagmites that are the biggest in the caves.  And I took some picutres of the tourist brochure they gave us… so you will just have to take my word for how amazing they are.  What makes them unique is partially the pure whiteness of the stone,  and they are very artfully lit so that you feel like the whole room is glowing.  It kind of reminded me of Narnia, this otherworldly winter wonderland…except that instead of fantastic snow formations, this was mineral deposits formed by millions of years of gentle drops of water. 
Friday, I got the chance to talk to a couple of friends via Skype IM (the signal for internet in my room isn’t strong enough to video chat, but it is in other parts of the apartment) But it was lovely to get updates on life in the U. S. of A.
Saturday, I slept in, but had the intention to be very productive with my day, as we are approaching midterms week.  Lisa came over, and we were going to study at the library after running a quick errand… well, we chatted, ran our errand and made it to the library just before it closed.  So then we went back to the apartment, ate munch and chatted until about 4… so much for all that productivity, but it was much more fun.   Then Saturday night, Erin and I made cookies (Miss Deb style, because they require half the butter, and butter isn’t the cheapest ingredient…)  But I would like to announce that I could recall from memory, appropriate denominations of (nearly) all ingredients in the oatmeal chocolate chip recipe from the “Dutch” cookbook that I grew up with.  I was off by a half of a teaspoon of baking soda, and I could only ball park flour as 1.5-2 cups (it’s a cup and ¾) so yes, I am just that good.
The cookie making process was just delightful.  Erin and I put on some music and danced around the kitchen.  Despite my excellent memory for the ingredient list, and ability to directly quote the instructions…we ended up guessing on several measeurments, because we only have one measuring cup (and it is for 1 cup), and no measuring spoons… so a lot of it was just…that’ll do…  But the dough was delicious, and thanks to the timing of our little escapade, pretty much dinner.  We made the cookies and sampled the finished product the moment they were not going to cause any damage to our mouths.  We brought a cookie to Carlye as well, because she loves cooking, but is not as big of a fan of baking.  They turned out a bit more crunchy than normal (probably do to oven, altitude, and imprecise measurements…) but our brown sugar has such large grains that they didn’t fully dissolve, and kind of gave a similar effect to a smash’em cookie. 
This past Wednesday, I also did my first cooking class with Marc and Gina, our professors from U of O.  I learned how to make Spaghetti al Tono (that’s tuna, by the way)  And at this point I can say that my opinion of fish has not really changed… still not a fan, but I did step out and try it!  Since I have been here, I have had tuna 3 times, and shrimp once, I believe that is a greater frequency of eating swimming things than has ever occurred in my life…
Anyway, embarking into midterms week, so I should probably think about studying some more... 
Still basically a week behind on photos... but here is the facebook link :)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150850802525705.739869.703125704&type=1&l=c34b564dd9

No comments:

Post a Comment