Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 1 (?)


Warning... I wrote much of this post while completely exhausted and reallllly jet-lagged.  I have edited it some, but I think I will leave the rest for you to enjoy.  It feels like it has been weeks since I left...and really its less than 48 hours.

The journey officially began at around 8:30 AM, when the truck was loaded (and the trailer attached to fetch Christopher’s car…)  But I had been awake off and on for a while before then….more consistently awake than not since 5 AM in part thanks to my beloved dog, who decided that granola bars would make an excellent snack…

So we ate pancakes, and mom sang “I’ll be home for Christmas.” Then I bid farewell to the dog and the brother, and we headed off.  Mom started “going over the check list” in the car, and by the time we got on M-6 I realized I’d forgotten my phone, which may come in handy for the portions of this adventure in which my feet are touching American soil. But more importantly, I had promised to call  Tanis… (which turned into a misadventure all its own)  So, we called Alex and he met us to deliver my phone and charger. And we continued on our way again.

Coming into Chicago, we hit traffic…shocker.  But we did manage to play a few exciting rounds of the alphabet game to distract us….well me.  Into O’hare, we have to locate Terminal 5, which was possible, but stressful, especially navigate the ever so slightly chaotic mass of vehicles also traversing about O’hare.  Then…in line to get ticket in hand, and from here to Mc Donalds since Terminal 5 is also distinctly lacking in food procurement establishments.

Lunch/snack time is done and it is time for final farewells in the security line.  I picked the slow line….but still made it to my gate with plenty of time to spare.  My flight scheduled for 3:35 was pushed back to 4:00, and our wheels lifted off at about 4:45. 

I got a decent seat but I couldn’t sleep… shoulda taken something that would just knock me out, but oh well.  As I right this… it feels like I have been up for 25-26 straight hours… even though that isn’t true I dozed off a few times, and each time someone adjusted their vent, and it made alittle click sound before changing the ambient noise of the cabin, I had a dream that someone opened the window on the plane.  Currently however…. I am sitting in Roma Termini fighting to stay awake, at least a little.  I have fallen a asleep a few times while writing this… like classic kid falling asleep in class, like waking yourself up because your neck can no longer support the weight of your head.  My fingers really have no idea which way is up, making just the typing of this a new sort of adventure. 

I also should have packed lighter or lifted weights while running on a treadmill.  My arms are really tired.

Despite all of this, I did have an interesting morning, in a good way.  Customs was a breeze (suspectly so…. I feel as though I must have done something wrong it was so easy….)  And on the way to customs, I began to talk with another American woman.  We ended up on the same train from the airport to Roma Termini.   Turns out she is in Rome for a conference on the Vigotsky theory of social psychology, and is also a Michigan native.  We reached Termini, and parted ways, but it was definitely a bright spot in my day. 

When I first arrived here, it was HOT.  The section of Termini I was in was very much plane aire and I was quite warm.  But, I found a snack shop, and got myself an ice cream bar and a cup of pineapple juice.  (probably not the most pleasing combination to the palette, but it was cold, and so worth it)

After several hours of hanging out in Termini, I finally got on my train, but instead of car 7, where my ticket said, I got in car 9.  Luckily though, car 9 was almost empty, and no one had a problem with me staying there.   I got my first views of the lovely countryside, but I did nearly scream when we went through our first tunnel, because I had not idea it was coming.  

Then after the train was the bus at Fabriano, which I ran off the train to catch.  It was incredibly difficult to stay awake on the bus, I was so tired at this point.  However, the ride was not smooth, especially not on the upper level where I was sitting, and that helped me to stay awake.  Only about 5 people got off the bus in Macerata, and then I had to find a taxi.  Luckily, two women offered to share one with me.  The taxi driver walked with me down one of the narrow alleys to the Ostello (hostel) where I am staying these first few days.  

I cannot even express how glorious it is to have a bed, a real pillow, and a shower.  

As the day goes on, the other students should be arriving here as well.  Thanks for reading :) 

View from my window-




 

No comments:

Post a Comment